When choosing a gift for a friend or relative, you’ll be aiming for one that gives maximum pleasure, so think carefully.
A gift that takes up precious space in one’s home may prove more of a hindrance than a joy, however delightful it is.
If the recipient’s accommodations are modest or cramped, they may not appreciate an extra item to add to the clutter. Even if they have a spacious house, the room for which your gift is intended may be small.
But some gifts take up no space at all or none in the long term.
Table of Contents
Buy tickets for a show or treat your friend or relative to a meal out. However, suppose they have a particular interest or pastime. In that case, you might prefer to pay for their membership of an associated society or their subscription to a dedicated magazine.
If you’re feeling really generous, you might like to splurge and fund a weekend break or a week’s holiday for them.
On the other hand, if your budget is tight, just invite them to your place for tea or coffee. They’ll appreciate your time and company, and maybe some fancy cookies.
Gifts for the workplace
While your friend’s home may be small, their place of work may be spacious, so think of a gift that could be used there.
You may need to glean some information about the place first to judge what sort of item would be appreciated there.
Depending on your budget and closeness to the recipient, you could purchase something inexpensive, like a coffee mug or desk organizer, or something substantial, such as a microwave or revolving chair.
- - BEAT THE STRESS: Punctuate that stressful day at work with a touch of humor! These funny memo pads spark a smile on anyone’s face and cheekily say what you really feel. Every set comes with 4...
- - PERFECT COWORKER GIFTS: Looking for fun office supplies to surprise your colleagues with? A unique gift your boss will relish? Dish out these humorous note pads and make their day. They’re also...
- - QUALITY YOU’LL LOVE: No dealing with ink bleeding through or message pads that easily tear. We’ve used high-quality paper accentuated by beautiful graphics and a vibrant pop of color. Each pad...
Gifts for the garden
Suppose you’re choosing a gift for a gardening enthusiast. In that case, they’ll appreciate something to plant or grow in their flower bed or vegetable patch.
Bedding plants and potted flowers are handy for filling gaps and adding color through the spring and summer. In contrast, flower bulbs or vegetable corms will be welcome through the winter months for putting in the ground, ready for the spring.
Packets of seeds will also come in handy. And if they’re not needed immediately, they can be stored in any dry corner of the shed, garage, or house.
- THE GREAT GOLFING GNOME - BRINGS A GREAT BIG SMILE TO EVERYONE HE MEETS! - (Golfer and Non Golfer Alike!)
- HAND PAINTED WITH WONDERFULLY LIFELIKE DETAILS - Down to the Adorable Plaid of His Trousers and HIS INCREDIBLY LOVABLE FACE!
- HE MEASURES OVER 9 INCHES TALL - And He's Made of High Quality Weather Resistant Polyresin Making Him Perfect for either In Or Outdoors.
- ☼UPDATED SOLAR LIGHTS OUTDOOR. 4 pack outdoor solar garden lights have bigger lily flowers, which are made of fine processed fabric. Adjustable stems and leaves make you freely design their pose as...
- ☼HIGH-EFFICIENCY SOLAR PANEL. Bigger solar panel is made of monocrystalline silicon which has the highest photoelectric conversion efficiency of all kinds of solar cells. Built-in 1.2V/600mAh Ni-MH...
- ☼COLOR CHANGING & NIGHT SENSOR. Garden lights automatically light up in the dark to illuminate your garden and pathway. Solar flower lights with 7-color changing to create a romantic atmosphere of...
A minuscule item will not clutter up your friend’s home. So if you want to buy them an object to keep indoors, make sure it’s small, or at least thin, fold-able, or small enough to be stored away.
A piece of jewelry, a pen, or a small candle, for instance, can easily be slipped into a drawer or corner. A belt, tie, or scarf can be hung up in the closet, out of the way, while luxury bathing items can be stored on the side of the bath or in the shower rack.
A watch is for wearing, which would not get in the way, and coasters can live in their table places. Cast your mind around their rooms for more ideas.
- 【FEATURES】They are big enough for a wine glass and are soft enough not to scratch your nice, wooden furniture. They are a lot better at absorbing condensation from glasses than plain plastic...
- 【FIT FOR ALMOST DRINKS】Cork Coasters are 4 inches in diameter and 1/5 inches thick.
- 【USE WIDELY】Keeps cold and hot drinks from damaging furniture. These cork coaster can be used as hot pads, put a few together for large pots and pans. Protect glasses from scratching surfaces....
Fancy food is almost always welcome unless the recipient is on a diet or has an aversion or allergy to the delicacy chosen.
If you’re thinking of buying them an edible treat, check their preferences first. Remember, their tastes may be entirely different from yours.
One of the beauties of food gifts is that they don’t take up space in the long term. And no one is likely to object to a giant box of chocolates on their coffee table for a couple of days – or however long they can last them.
If your friend moves into a vast mansion, you can buy them gifts of any size without worrying. Still, unless and until that time comes, they’ll appreciate your space-friendly gifts.
You’ll appreciate them, too, when you think of all the wrapping paper you’re saving!